The palm tree is an amazing tree with various benefits to humankind. One of these benefits is in the form of palm kernel oil. We will be providing you with the health benefits of Palm Kernel Oil. Locally, the oil is extracted from palm kernels by heating the oil in a pot until the oil comes out of it. The oil is usually dark brown colored. Palm oil differs from palm kernel oil, as palm oil is extracted from the fruit’s fleshy part.
Nonetheless, it is similar to coconut oil in chemical composition – they both contain lauric acid and other saturated fatty acids.
Palm kernel oil is very good for the hair, skin, and overall health. Our mothers rubbed palm kernel oil on the skin and hair of babies because they know its importance.
Palm kernel oil has about 60% medium-chain saturated fatty acids, mainly lauric and myristic acid. It does not contain cholesterol, nor does it contain trans fats.
Palm Kernel Oil Benefits For Hair, Skin, and Health
100gms of palm kernel oil provides:
Total fat: 100g
Total saturated fat: 82 g
Lauric acid: 48 g
Myristic acid: 16 g
Palmitic acid: 8 g
Capric acid: 3 g
Caprylic acid: 3 g
Stearic acid: 3 g
Total unsaturated fat: 17 g
Oleic monounsaturated acid: 15 g
Linoleic polyunsaturated acid: 2 g
Vitamin E: 4 mg
Cholesterol: 0 g
Trans fatty acids: 0 g
Benefits of palm kernel oil for hair
1. Palm kernel oil moisturizes the hair. It provides deep conditioning, softens the hair, and prevents dandruff
2. Palm kernel oil is nongreasy and light, such that when it is used for the hair, it does not make the hair greasy
3. Another benefit of palm kernel oil is that it is good for natural hair. It contains various vitamins and antioxidants that assist with hair growth.
4. Palm kernel oil also has collagen that prevents hair loss
5. Palm kernel oil strengthens damaged or weak hair. It contains different fatty acids that help with this
6. Palm kernel oil helps to relieve itchy scalp caused by eczema and dandruff
7. Palm kernel oil helps to restore the edges of the hair that have been lost. Application of palm kernel oil to these edges restores hair to them.
Benefits of Palm Kernel Oil For The Skin
1. Palm kernel oil keeps skin moisturized and supple. It conditions the skin and keeps the skin hydrated.
2. Palm kernel oil contains vitamin E which is an antioxidant, that destroys free radicals in the skin. It promotes the proper functioning of the immune system and keeps the skin healthy
3. Another benefit of palm kernel oil for the skin is that it is anti-aging. It is used in different anti-aging products and helps the skin to remain youthful
4. Palm kernel oil cures skin ailments like eczema. It also protects the skin from skin diseases
5. Palm kernel oil acts as a sunscreen against the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun and protects the skin from damage.
6. Palm kernel oil is good for baby’s skin as it moisturizes their skin and prevents their skin from dryness
7. Palm kernel oil is rich in fatty acids like lauric and linoleic acids that help treat and prevent acne on the skin
8. Palm kernel oil is a major component of soaps and shampoos due to its lauric acid content. It helps soaps to lather richly and also clean very well. It is non-allergenic, cleanses the skin deeply, and moisturizes the skin.
9. Palm kernel oil helps to tackle body odor when it is applied to the skin regularly.
Health benefits of palm kernel oil
1. Controls Blood Pressure
Palm kernel oil helps blood flow easily through the blood vessels from the heart to other body organs. Hence, it keeps blood pressure under control, preventing the risk of hypertension. This is also a health benefit found in Bitter leaf, another superfood.
2. No Cholesterol
Palm kernel oil contains no cholesterol in it. This makes it an ideal replacement for other types of oil while cooking. People with high cholesterol and heart diseases can use Palm kernel oil instead of other oils for good health
Palm kernel oil contains various antioxidants that destroy free radicals that can cause chronic diseases and cancer. The antioxidants also promote anti-aging properties and prevent the event of fine lines and wrinkles. Palm kernel oil also protects the body from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
4. Vitamin K
Palm kernel oil contains vitamin K. Vitamin K helps to produce various proteins that are used for blood clotting and bone building. Vitamin K also improves bone density and reduces the risk of fractures. Vitamin K also improves memory in older adults.
More so, vitamin K prevents minerals from building up in the blood vessels, which reduces the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
5. Vitamin A
Palm kernel oil also contains vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for vision, reproduction, and the immune system. It also helps in the growth and development of cells. It reduces the risk of acne and supports bone health.
6. Long Shelf Life
Palm kernel oil has a long shelf life compared to most oils. It does not get oxidized when cooked under high temperatures and during storage.
7. Arthritis and Rheumatism
Palm kernel oil is useful in treating arthritis and rheumatism. It is applied topically to the joints in traditional medicine. It is applied to the skin to relieve pain.
8. Unsaturated Fats
Palm kernel oil is an ideal source of healthy unsaturated fats and medium-chain fatty acids. These make it suitable for use in cooking different types of food delicacies. Unsaturated fats help to reduce the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol in the body.
They also reduce inflammation and build stronger cell membranes in the body. Another benefit is that they stabilize heart rhythm.
9. No Trans Fat
Another health benefit of palm kernel oil is that it does not contain trans fat. Trans fat increases LDL (bad) cholesterol and lowers HDL (good) cholesterol. Foods that are rich in trans fat increase the chances of having heart and blood vessels diseases. As palm kernel oil contains no trans fat, it is an ideal addition to one’s food regimen.
10. Filled With Nutrients
Palm kernel oil is full of various nutrients that are beneficial to the body. It contains vitamins and fats that are useful in the body’s growth and development.
Palm kernel oil is a superfood that is ideal for one’s daily diet. It contains various nutrients and promotes a healthy body system, skin, and hair. Include palm kernel oil in your diet and you will enjoy its numerous benefits.